Saturday, December 15, 2007

Pittsburgh DIY Craft Congress in New York TImes

Four years ago I created an event called Handmade Arcade, which is a DIY Craft Fair, offering indie crafters an opportunity to sell their wares in Pittsburgh. With a small group of volunteers we put on the first HA, with 32 vendors and about 800 visitors. Both vendors and visitors doubled in number yearly.

As the DIY craft movement grew we thought it'd be a good idea to hold a gathering, in Pittsburgh, of DIY craft fair organizers, webzine editors, etc. The event, called Craft Congress & held March 31 & April 1, 2007, was a success with participants coming from across the U.S., Canada and even one from Leeds, U.K. One of the attendees was Rob Walker who writes for the New York Times.

Below is the article he wrote about current trends in the DIY craft movement, which includes a bit about his visit to Pittsburgh. It appears in today's (12/16/07) NYT:

Title: "Handmade 2.0"
Author: Rob Walker (who attended Craft Congress)
Date: 12/16/07
Subject: current DIY craft scene

Article Here.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I had a really good time at Handmade Arcade. So many great things, I really wish I was crafty like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Gloria! I was walking somewhere when I ran into an old friend. I commented on his hat and he told me that his g/f got it for him at Handmade Arcade!

    P.S. I also fixed the link. I'll send you instructions on how to make links work on blogger.

    ReplyDelete