Friday, June 29, 2007

Male customer punches female drive-thru employee

From today's Post-Gazette, Dennis Roddy has some fun at the expense of a man who punched a woman because he wasn't happy with her "attitude" at a local Wendy's.
A Penn Hills man's beef with a drive-through clerk at Wendy's ended in a
knuckle
sandwich and police promptly served assault charges for dessert.
"He wasn't
happy with the girl's attitude. Something with the fact that
she didn't say
please and thank you and wasn't pleasant in general," said
Penn Hills police
chief Howard Burton. That, according to police, is when
Duane L. Williams, 46,
added new dimensions to the concept of hitting on the
waitress.
Because nothing makes for good copy like mocking an assault.


Here's my question. How old was this young woman working in the drive-thru? It says she wasn't seriously injured. Hello? Someone punched her at work. Maybe she doesn't have a black eye, but you don't just shake that off and serve up some more fries. I did note that Penn Hills Police Chief Howard Burton refers to her as a "girl" several times. Do you think he has a poker night with Nate Harper and George Trosky?

Nope, the story has nothing to do with the victim, the crime or even the assailant. The story is the stupid restaurant humor.

I guess when it comes to working at the drive-thru, she can bring home the bacon and fry it up in the pan. But she never better forget who is the man ...

5 comments:

  1. I first saw this on the The Burgh Blog and I had a very similar first impression.

    It made that article even that much more humorless to me. I mean, come on, in a regarded newspaper? Unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe the story went to print like that! It's appalling, especially because abuse issues have been in the news lately along with the officers' promotions.
    I'm going to write a letter to the editor using the contact prompt at the paper. (http://biz.post-gazette.com/contact/comments_form.aspx?ID=40)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read it, I had an entirely different take: the writer was ridiculing the assailant, and doing a pretty good job of it, too. It painted him not only as a someone who committed a battery (which ordinarily is not big news, if it's news at all, in the PG), but as a pathetic human being, a ticking time bomb. (P.S. The young woman was 19. I remember one time when I was 24, and already an attorney, an older woman referred to me as "this boy." And, no, I didn't like it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with the judge on this one. i had the same take on it as he did. the guy has something wrong with him. he was out of control.

    and something tells me this wasn't the first time he lost his temper, but that's just a guess on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The guy's name was Duane Williams - sounds like a black guy to me. I wonder what color the victim was. Eh, if there was a racial motivation here, you can count on the authorities and local media (and feminist bloggers) to ignore it.

    ReplyDelete